Thursday, November 18, 2010

A New Class. . . .Its All Quiet on the Western Front

Ah, American Literature. The tedious study of literature written by Americans. Sometimes the reading can be hard to understand and a pain to read; that's just how the cookie crumbles. But, the class itself is awesome. Of course, I can only speak for Mr. McCarthy's class, but however, I say only good things.

I can't say I love the House of the Seven Gables, but I can't say I hate it either. Something Mr. McCarthy said sticks out in my mind, "These were the first people to write novels; they had to figure it out by themselves and tried new things. They paved the way for the rest of America's great writers." Those may not have been his EXACT words, but when you think about American lit that way it gives you a new perspective when it comes to reading hard-to-understand-and-sometimes-boring-American-literature.

That's what I love about this class, it gives me a new spin on things or ideas I may or may not like and it makes me think more extensively about the topic. There is not much I would change. . . not much at all (I mean, I wouldn't mind not reading THOTSG, but. . .it is a requirement and I can live with that). The one thing I feel we need to do more of is vocab/grammar. I like doing vocab and things of that nature, and I absolutely hate doing grammar exercises (suffered through enough of that in grammar school. . .haha, and that wasn't supposed to be a pun-but hey, it's a literary term!). But, I think putting an emphasis on grammar (in papers, assignments, etc.) is really helpful and it will come in handy later in life.
So yeah, I really like my American lit class and have little to no complaints! It's allll good.

No comments:

Post a Comment