Thursday, September 16, 2010

Well Shoot, Darlin'! There Goes That There Neighborhood!


My dad is one of those overprotective parents. He even had a hard time when I started to take the CTA; as he says, "Its not that I don't trust you, Anna, I just don't trust other people. There are a lot of crazy people out there."

Coming from two very different cultures, I know what its like to be mistaken for only one of my ethnic back rounds. One time, I was at school and one of the older women from our school's parish came up to me and started talking about all the gangs around the area, the recent drive-by's, and things of that nature. Now, my old school is in Bridgeport, and its not very diverse; its mostly European immigrants. I'm guessing she did not know my last name because she started talking about the fact that all the gangs and shootings were because of "those Mexicans." She talked as if the entire Hispanic community were just bad people who were in gangs. So when I heard her say this to me I nodded and tried to speak in defense; it could have been any gang in the area. I've also had people like her tell me to be careful if I ever drive through Pilsen or on Archer Ave. to Midway. That's just an arrogant statement. A couple times I've told people I'm Hispanic and the change the subject to "Oh! Yeah, you know, it really could have been anybody.


But is all of this really what the world has become? You see one story in the paper or on TV and start stereotyping races. Or a boss does not think you are qualified because your skin is a different color than their own. We are not born with discrimination and fear of race, we
learn it. What does that say about our society?

1 comment:

  1. Annnnnaaaaa. See i added about 5 extra n's to your name. Oh an 3 a's I'm not exactly sure about these numbers but just go with it. So, I see that people these days need to understand that not everyone is a gang banger or likes to engage in violent acts. Never listen to old people, this is a different day and age.

    ...Also, i like the picture :)

    ReplyDelete